At Temecula Olive Oil Company, we are committed to enlightening our guests about how or what to cook and bake with multi-faceted olive oil. Now we’re going to share with you a few of our favorite extra virgin olive oil cooking tips for all of your meal preparation and entertaining needs. Enjoy!
Basic Olive Oil Tips
- Store your olive oil in a cool, dark place and keep the bottle sealed tightly to keep it fresh. Heat, light, and air breakdown olive oil and hasten its life, causing it to become rancid.
- Only cook foods in extra virgin olive oil at low to medium heat, under the smoke point (400°). The smoke point is when olive oil becomes hot enough to evaporate or “smoke” and this is the point at which it begins to break down. If your olive oil is heated to the smoke point, it is best to discard and start again.
- Substitute olive oil in place of butter or vegetable oil in recipes.
- When using butter, olive oil will prevent it from burning if you add a little to the butter before cooking.
- Before using your olive oil, always smell it to ensure it is still fresh.
Cooking With Olive Oil
- Brush olive oil over your turkey, prime rib, or other meats to seal juices inside and make a crispy exterior.
- Add herbs to warmed olive oil for dipping lobster.
- Marinate meats in olive oil before cooking.
- Use olive oil as a condiment on your leftover turkey and ham sandwiches.
- Emulsify your sauces by whisking in some olive oil.
- Blend olive oil, garlic, and cooked Garbanzo or white beans in a food processor for a tasty appetizer. Season to taste using your favorite herbs.
- Brush olive oil on quartered pita slices and lightly sprinkle with sea salt. Broil pita until they are crisp and golden brown. Serve with bean dip described above.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over vegetables before serving to enhance the flavor of green beans, asparagus, or corn.
- Serve steamed artichokes with a blend of extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
- Blend olive oil with balsamic vinegar for green beans and asparagus. Chill and serve cold.
- Scramble or fry your holiday breakfast eggs and omelets in extra virgin olive oil.
- Substitute salty meats with olive oil in pea or bean soups.
- Dip bread in extra virgin olive oil with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
- Drizzle olive oil over salad or blend in to salad dressings.
- Create a delightful salad dressing by blending our Fresh Blood Orange Olive Oil with our Vanilla & Fig Balsamic Vinegar.
- Marinate your favorite meat with our Roasted Garlic Reserve Olive Oil or drizzle our Fresh Basil Olive Oil over steamed vegetables and caprese salad.